Saturday, August 18, 2012

Hole in the Sock

There's this hindi movie called "HUM" in which one actor would say "If you want to know the truth about someone, look at his shoes."
I've never really understood how it works but ever since I saw that movie, I did become a bit more observant and somehow I always had a better experience with people who take care of their footwear.
Today, I realise that its not just about the shoes, but they have always been a pretty good starting point for me.
Neat polished shoes, ironed clothes, presentable looks are all important and speak a lot about a person, but recently I realised something more important.
I was on the way home from office when I suddenly had to go to a friend's place. When I reached his home, I was about to remove my shoes when I remembered that I had a hole in one sock. Praying that nobody notices, I quickly removed the shoes and the socks, went inside and spent time with my friend. While leaving his home, my friend and his mom came to the door to see me off. Only I know how I was able to wear the socks and shoes without them seeing the hole.
That day, I realised something. We are so much worried about the outside - our shirts, pants, dresses, shoes, hair, face, looks... everything on the outside.
How much do we care about the insides?
Right now, I can bet that either your sock, your inshirt or the other important inner thing has atleast one hole in it. There's a huge chance that atleast one piece of clothing you are wearing right now has a damage on it, a small hole, an open stitch, a tiny stain, a loose thread... something...
I'm not over exaggerating anything, but these small details talk a lot about our attitude.

The conditioning we have done for ourselves is that we'll make sure the outsides look great but its ok if something is wrong inside... something which the world can't see...

The day I realised this, I decided that I will change this attitude. I understand that even in the smallest details, I should not compromise for myself. That day, I disposed off about 15 pieces of clothing which had a damage. Nobody in the world would have ever noticed any of those clothes, but I think I have reached a stage in life when I can throw away a few old clothes before they are reduced to tatters.
3 pairs of socks have gone to the bin and another couple got the toe stitched.

What's important is that I have made an attitudinal change. I'm giving myself a message that besides being the best on the outside, I will also make sure that the insides are well taken care off. Whether it is my clothing, my attitude, my thoughts, my work, or my prayer... the insides will always be aligned with the outsides...

By making this small change, I will be able to extend this understanding to everything I do.
A rotten egg, no matter how well decorated, will still remain a rotten egg.
A tasteless dish will remain tasteless, no matter how well it is presented.
Everyone is able to make something beautiful when the whole world is watching... Can you create beauty even when nobody is watching?

No comments:

Post a Comment