Sunday, October 2, 2011

Wants and Needs

Have been trying to make a few decisions for the last few months. There are a lot of activities to do and a lot of things to invest in, but not all of them are equally important. So there is definitely some scope for choosing what comes first and what can wait. I normally prefer to talk through most of my decisions with a friend.
This friend always helps me to make my decisions, and the best part is that I always end up answering only one question to my friend. This one question is almost always enough to help me decide.
Its only now that I'm learning to use one question as a powerful tool. The question is "Do I Want it or Do I Need it?"
I have owned a Pulsar 150cc bike for many years and honestly it is the best bike I have ever driven, but I have been eyeing the newer 220cc upgraded version... Do I need it or do I want it?
I have a HCL netbook computer, but I've been eyeing a Macbook Air for quite some time.... Do I need it or do I want it?
Every summer there is power cuts in my neighbourhood and I've been wanting to install a power backup system in the house... Do I need it or do I want it?
New furniture or holiday abroad?
New watch or a microwave?
New bike or new car?
Sedan or Hatchback? or SUV?
Cheese burger or homemade food?
Most of us mix up the wants and the needs and give a greater importance to our wants while making decisions.
Everytime that we find ourselves saying that "I should have done this instead of this", chances are that when we gave a preference to wants instead of needs while making a decision, .
I have been asking this question a lot to myself recently... everytime I want something, I ask myself "Do I want it or do I need it?"
After all the needs have been satisfied, I can always make room for the wants...

Think about it...

1 comment:

  1. Guls...... in such situations what i do is i anlayse whether it is necessary to buy or not. I always buy or invest in something only when there is a need for it and not just because i like something. People do call me "kanjoos" .... but that is how i am...

    ReplyDelete