Sunday, October 28, 2012

Work... Like there was no yesterday...

M S Dhoni has won numerous matches with his 'out of the box' thinking. Whether its a genius stroke or sheer dumb luck, nobody knows. But I have seen one thing for sure... Everytime he wins a match for his team, he's hailed as the next generation captain. And everytime his decision backfires, the entire media starts talking about his retirement from captaincy. Then, he comes back with a win and he's a legend again.

Long before I stopped wearing shorts, Sachin has been playing, and in so many years, I've heard the media talking about his retirement almost every year. Yet, he plays a winning inning and is hailed as a legend again. Let him go duckout the next time and I promise to you all will be forgotten in a moment.

I have gone through this myself. I was one of the best of the lot in my batch. As a result, I used to keep getting more opportunities. Somewhere over the years I found myself struggling to keep up. I wasn't sure whether it was overwork or whether it was complacence.
Now I understand what it was. Everytime I was successful, I became relaxed.
"I've done this"
"I've acheived this"
etc...
and then, life will throw in a test and a rude wake up call.

Over years, I have realised that no matter what I have achieved in my past, it does not matter. I have to continue achieving in the present.

Just because I was the best student in my school doesn't mean I have to work less in my office. I still have to go to office every morning and give in my best.

Whatever I did till yesterday, is exactly there... in the yesterday. It carries no value today. I still have to carry my bums to the office and work today...

Of course, what I did till yesterday has brought me where I am today, but that's where its role ends.
Of course, what I did till yesterday has added value in me in different ways.
What I did till yesterday has already added value to my today.
If I continue to sit on past laurels, past successes... I would be sitting on outdated successses while everyone continues to achieve more.

So the next realisation turns out to be... "Work like there was no yesterday..."

Infact, this very same realisation holds true even in relationships. One has to keep on working on his relationships... No matter how much loving I have been in the past. Just one quarrel with my loved one can wipe the slate clean and I have to begin again....

Infact, what an amazing life we could have if we could put these two realisations together...

"Love like there's no tomorrow... Work like there was no yesterday"


No comments:

Post a Comment