Monday, November 8, 2010

Kabhi Haan... Kabhi Naa??? Phans gaye na!!!!

We were going home on his bike. On the way, we passed one Vada-pav stall and he asked me "Gullu... want to eat Vada Pav?"
Being a bit shy, I said "No", although I was feeling hungry.
He stopped the bike at the stall and ordered one for himself since I had refused to have it.
After watching him eat for about a minute, I couldn't resist and said "Okay... I will also have one."
He looked at me... top to bottom... without saying another word he turned to the vendor and order one more vada pav, with extra sweet sauce (he always seemed to know my choice).
I really enjoyed eating it that day.
After we were done, we sat on the bike and started riding towards home. He didn't say anything except just this one sentence:
"NA bolke HAAN nahi karna aur ek baar HAAN kar di to NA nahi karna"
"Never say NO and then say YES. Once you say YES, never say NO at any cost"

He didn't say anything else and we rode home in silence. I was maybe 7 or 8 years old at that time.
I didn't realise back then that he had given me a lesson to live by for the rest of my life.

Most of the time we keep falling in this trap...

We decide to do something and withdraw...

Join the gym... drop out after 2 weeks

Pick up a hobby... drop it in a month's time

Start a diet... don't last till the next weekend

Take up an activity and keep thinking... did I do the right thing???

Give up something and keep thinking... did I do the right thing???

What a tragic trap have we created for ourselves... Kya haalat kar di hai apni...
Liya to sochte hain kyun liya... Chhod diya to sochte hain kyun chhoda...

Say yes but not able to stick to yes...
Say no but not able to hold on to it either...
So much of indecision in life...
And the worst part is indecision even after making the decision...
And the samples are all around us... girls shopping for clothes / footwear... or guys shopping for electronics... jumping through jobs... thinking why did you get married...

Today he is not there... but I'm so blessed that I had a messenger early in my life...
He just gave me one message to hold on to and I know that all that I have achieved today is because of that one lesson...
Even today I have issues with the decisions I make...
but I never ask the question "Was it a right choice"...
The question I ask is "I have made a choice... now how do I turn it into a right choice..." --- Gives a lot of freedom

Think enough before saying YES or NO... once chosen... hold on to the choice...

2 comments: