Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Define wrong!!!

Was sitting with my friend at McDonald's at a mall in Bangalore. We had some free time so we were just chatting. Somewhere the talk diverted to what is right and what is wrong.
We got into a game and started going through a few things like smoking, drinking, checking out chicks and a few other topics. Everytime I say something is wrong, he would defend it by saying its right.
If I say drinking is wrong, he would come back quoting doctors who say wine is good for health.
If I say checking out girls is wrong because they are someone's daughters or sisters, his answer would be that they are the beauty created by god, nothing's wrong in seeing god's creation.
If I would say something is right, like computer games or watching TV, he would go all the way to prove it is wrong.

Finally we landed on one question --- "Define Wrong"

I don't remember what we discussed after that because that one question brought back to me the definition which my teacher had given to me -

"If you can do something in the presence of your mother, spouse or daughter, then it is right, otherwise it is wrong."

I have never seen a simpler definition of wrong in my life.
Anywhere I try to apply it, it works.
If I try to check out a girl in front of my wife, I'll probably end up sleeping on the sofa.
I don't know a single father who smokes or drinks in front of his daughter.
Never seen a person talking about breaking a law, paying or accepting a bribe in presence of his mother.
This definition has become my anchor for defining my rights and wrongs.
I think I'll end this post here and let this definition do it's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment