Sunday, July 24, 2011

That sense of security?

All those who know me well know that there are two things which I don't like - water and heights. Heights being the worst one. I wouldn't stand on the terrace of a 3 storey building.
And here I am doing parasailing...
Yep... You read it right. Parasailing... It involves both heights and water.
Just for those who don't know about it, parasailing involves a speed boat. There is a rope attached to the boat. On the other end of the rope is a parachute attached. You can clamp yourself on to the parachute (parasail) and hang on. As the boat goes faster the parasail rises higher. The boat goes really fast taking you very high, then slows down, dunking you in water and then speeds up taking you up again. It's like kite flying, with a really big kite and a person attached to it.
Went through a bit of fear while getting strapped into the harness but before I knew I was clamped to the chute and on my way up.
The strangest part is that I didn't feel a tiniest bit of fear after take-off. I was absolutely free... Flying through the air... I even left my hands and spread out my arms to do a little flying action.
How was it possible? Why was I not scared?
The difference between the two examples is the "SENSE OF SECURITY". When I'm standing on a terrace, I'm not having anything to catch me, but in a parasail, I'm strapped on to a harness which will take care of me in any eventuality.
Isn't this the same feeling that a baby gets when it has gone through all the laps and finally reaches the mother's lap?
Isn't it the same feeling a son gets while holding his father's hand and crossing the road?
The same feeling you get when you finally reach home after traveling places...
The same feeling you used to get when you slept hugging that Teddy bear...
Isn't it the same feeling you get when you are sitting with that someone special...
The feeling that right now, nothing in the world can go wrong... And it won't matter even if something did go wrong.
There are a lot of people, places and objects in the world which have given me that sense of security at various stages of my life.
The question I need to ask myself is - Have I ever been that source of comfort to someone? Can someone feel completely safe in my company?
Can I give a sense of security to make someone feel safe inspite of whatever goes on around?
I think I need to ask this question not just as a friend, but even as a boss for my team, as a teacher, as a son for my mother, as a brother, as a husband...
But before all of this, I need to have a sense of security about myself. If I'm scared how can I ever make others feel safe around me?
Can I grow enough in life that I don't need any external factor to give me a sense of security?

No comments:

Post a Comment