Saturday, August 13, 2011

I have a Guardian Angel!!!

It was a Sunday morning and I went down to clean my bike. As I was cleaning the tyre I noticed that a really long iron nail was driven right into the rear tyre and poking out from the other side of the tyre. Somehow the nail itself had sealed the hole and the tyre had not gone flat. The bike must have gone over the nail while driving and the nail probably just stayed there.
I took it to the mechanic next door to get the puncture fixed. While inspecting the tyre, the mechanic said that a certain part from the brake assembly was missing and will need to be fixed. Without this part the brakes can't work.
I actually laughed at the mechanic because that same morning I had been to the airport and pushed the bike all the way to 100 kmph. He said it was impossible because the brakes just won't apply without that part and apparently the missing part and the nail in the tyre had been that way for quite some time.
The mechanic started taking the bike into his workshop and as he was towing it, the entire brake assembly just started falling part by part in front of his shop because of the missing part.
He had not even touched the bike with his tools, so there's no way he could have done anything.
I told the guy about my ride that morning and the expression he had was amazing. He looked at me, then at the bike, then at me again about 4-5 times and finally said - "either you think i'm an idiot or you have a lot of good deeds in your account".
"I guess I have a guardian angel" was all I said.
I guess sometimes we just have that guardian angel looking after us, that Z axis, those good deeds, whatever you call them.
What I also realised was that the 100 kmph adventure that morning was definitely not required. A hundred things could have gone wrong. The missing part and the nail were both independently enough to do enough damage at that speed if it wasn't for sheer dumb luck.
I have become a more responsible biker since then.
I realise that being lucky is one thing, but pushing that luck unnecessary is not correct.

3 comments: