Saturday, August 20, 2011

When you go to the restaurant

When you go to the restaurant, you meet a pretty lady at the door waiting to receive you, she guides you to your seat, a well groomed steward lights a candle on your table and hands you a menu with a list of dishes served at the restaurant.
Be honest and tell me... Do you see the right side of the list first or the left? (for your information, the left side is generally the names of dishes and the right side is the prices)
Almost all of us instinctively see the right side first and start filtering the dishes based on their prices.
I know about a mother and son who once travelled in train for two days with just Rs. 50 in hand. Out of this money, they bought a veg rice and shared the meal between them. The balance Rs. 25 was kept aside for the fare from the railway station to home. I accept that this was a time to see the price before eating.
I know a brother who went to work and ate bread with pickle so his elder brother could complete his studies. That was the time to save money and check the prices before getting food.

I've decided that in this lifetime, neither I nor anyone in my family will ever need to see the price side of the menu.
Of course, this doesn't mean that I'll go to eat lunch at The Sheltons and The Sheratons everyday. But I can atleast make sure that if I ever feel a desire to go to an expensive place and pamper my taste buds, I will not think twice.
Some call me crazy, some foolish for the money I sometimes spend on food for myself or my friends and family.
Then again, those close to me know that if it is Gulshan, the food will be the best whether it's a treat, party, get together or no occasion at all.
It's just a matter of decision that I will grow enough in life that I don't have to see the right side of the menu.

1 comment: