Sunday, August 28, 2011

My Share...

Was recently witness to a family fight where there was a partition happening and the brothers and sisters were in 'negotiations' about who gets what. (don't worry, it was not my family). The father had passed away leaving behind 2 factories and a mansion. This needed to be shared among his two sons and a daughter. Oh, there was also the mother who was now a widow, but nobody was speaking of sharing her.
It was complicated to share the assets among the three children and their widow mother because they had to make sure that nobody gets unfairly more or less. They tried a lot of different combinations but every time it resulted in a fight because one of them was getting less.
Finally they decided to sell the entire assets and split the cash 4 ways. Everything was sold, one fourth was given to the mother from which she had to buy a house and take care of herself for the rest of her life. Balance three fourths were shared among the brothers and sister equally and all the children were satisfied.
It's shocking to see how the well educated children had squandered away the wealth created by their father's hardwork. The person who bought all the assets from them has already multiplied those assets to 4 times their value when I last saw that place last year.

Was witness to another such incident. My friend was getting married to his girlfriend, the girl is the only child. At the bachelor's party, I overheard another friend saying to my friend "you are lucky man, rich dad, only daughter, ultimately everything is going to come to you".
I was thinking that even I have one sister and a brother. Somehow such a thought of partitions, shares etc had never crossed my mind. I asked myself as to what will I do when the time comes. The mere thought that I could ask for a share got me feeling bad about myself.
It feels like I'm looking at a pack of vultures.
Vultures and hyenas fight for their share in the carcass after the animal dies. If I had to go running and ask for a share, then what is the difference between me and these vultures and hyenas.
By what right do we ask for share in our parents' properties?
Don't tell me that it is as per law, laws are made by men. And our legal system is flawed enough.
Haven't our parents already given us enough to create our lives independently. My parents invested the peak years and money to get me educated. Today I have enough educational qualification to create a life for myself without anybody's help. Isn't that the most precious heirloom already?
Even if one doesn't have the education, most of us have created some success for ourselves already.
And if you and I have not been successful enough, then trust me, even the share of property will not be useful because we would not know how to use it well.

I have decided that with all that I have already received from my parents, I don't have any rights to ask any more. I will not become a vulture. If possible I will create so much wealth for myself that when the time comes, the 'share' that could come will look too small to even bother about. I'll remain a son and not become a vulture.
I think it's a good time for all of us to decide what we want to be when the time come.
Do we want to be vultures and hyenas or do we want to be sons and daughters?

1 comment:

  1. Gulshan i am in complete agreement with your views and also think that if one goes through this and cannot convince the so called Vultures and Hyenas to be come humam, he or she should not convert into one. Possibly one's patience can change the situation.

    ReplyDelete