Saturday, September 3, 2011

Still the same?

I had a colleague once, he was senior to me and had been in the organisation for long before I joined. One day he told that he was resigning the job to look for better prospects. I knew that he had been promoted recently and was sure that he was being paid well enough. Since we were close enough, I asked him what the problem was and why would he want to leave a job like this.
He said - "I have been here for so many years. I've got very good salary increments from the day I joined and have been promoted almost every year. But if I see, all the promotions are only designation changes for me. I'm still doing the exact same work which I was doing on my day 1. Even if I stayed here for the next 10 years, the chances are that I'll continue to do the same work. Where have I grown? What new have I learnt? Where have  I improved professionally? If I had to leave this place, what skillsets am I going to take away from here?"

Of course, he went on to resign his job and is now working in a much larger organisation. His questions pretty much turned my outlook towards my work.

I've seen a person who joined as an accounting clerk and retired 30 years later as a senior accounting clerk, fully satisfied with his life.
On the other hand, there is this guy who has not even completed his schooling, wanted to join as a driver, ended up joining as an office boy and after 12 years in the same organisation, he is handling client interactions, admin, accounting as part of a team. And he recently started studying to complete his graduation.

Am I making visible permanent positive contributions to the organisation where I work or Am I just coming everyday to fill up the attendance sheets and collect a paycheque at the month end.

Am I doing the same things in the same way as I used to do when I joined?
If the answer to this question is "Yes", then it means that I have not grown at all.
Either what I do should have changed, or the way I do it should have changed...

Now, don't let that cunning intelligence play its tricks. We still have to live for rest of our lives with the same spouse and parents, don't get any bright ideas there.

But ask yourself this question - "Am I still doing the same things in the same way?"

2 comments:

  1. According to me it all about "One's take on the matter at hand"

    So I think in above scenario he felt that he should change his Job because he don't want to do the same things and he is not enjoying.


    If I am enjoying doing the same work and really don't want to do the things differently. Then why should I change?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guls...... if a person feels he has lost interest in the current job and his just doing it as an obligation..... then he should change his job..... as per me..... Job Satisfaction and growth both monetary and in work place is necessary.

    I changed my job as i had lost interest in job and monetary compensation was also low... not that there was no Job Satisfaction........ it all depends on one's perception.

    ReplyDelete