Saturday, September 17, 2011

Learn to Receive Appreciation

This friend of mine teaches french. I have seen for myself atleast 3 such students who were scoring below 15% marks in exams and started scoring 90% and above after learning french from my friend.
We were talking about this the other day and I told my friend "That's amazing, Now you have become a teacher. Everyone will call you ma'am"
To this my friend replied - "Its nothing, I'm not doing anything great. I still have to go a long way"
I immediately went into firing mode. I told her... "when someone gives appreciation, you should learn to accept it. How can you say "its nothing" for a result which you have created with your own efforts?"
The response could have been - "Thanks a lot, I know I still have to go a long way" - Without any negative language.
This is just one random example, but if we look around us, we will notice that this is the attitude everywhere.
Knowingly or unknowingly even we do the same thing. Everytime someone appreciates us, our first responses are "No, thats nothing great", "Nothing much" and so on.
What we don't understand is that appreciation is a very powerful force.
By saying no to appreciation, we are repelling the powerful positive thoughts released in our favour.
I know very well how much effort I put in my work, and when someone appreciates my work, why should I accept it with anything less.
I understood this fact early on, thats why I always accept any appreciation with 3 important components:

  1. Acceptance
  2. Gratitude
  3. Ambition
Whenever someone appreciates me, I always reply with "Thanks a lot, that was pretty good, I still need to go a long way". By doing that, I'm accepting the compliment with gratitude and in the same sentence I'm also stating that I can do much better.

But, Be Careful...
Accepting appreciation is good, but I should not become dependent on Appreciation. I should not reach a stage where I'm dependent on others' appreciation.
At the same time, there is no need to go around boasting and appreciating myself on my own.
Appreciating my work is other peoples' work, let me leave it to them.
As long as I know that I'm good, I don't need anybody's appreciation, but at the same time, I should accept any appreciation with an open mind.
Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment