Sunday, September 11, 2011

Interpretations...

I used to stay with some friends sharing an apartment. We were pretty good friends. One of those days we were planning for a weekend movie. I was not sure how my work was going so I didn't confirm. I just said "we'll see".
One of my friends said that gulshan's "we'll see" means he's not coming.
We went to have a little heated discussion and I walked out of the conversation as I saw myself losing cool.
Later, when we were cooled down, we had a patchup talk and I had to clarify that when I say something I mean exactly that thing, nothing more or less.
I don't really blame my friend, it's just unfortunate that we are in a world of unclear communication and have to interpret anything someone says. We go on to make multiple interpretations and choose the one most suited to us.
Somehow I don't have that skill for that kind of communication. I just speak exactly what I mean.
So here's a clarification to the world on what I say and what I mean:
I say - I'll see
I mean - I'm not sure how things are getting planned. So I can't commit, I will see
I don't mean - I'll not join

I say - nice dress
I mean - nice dress
I don't mean - I am not trying to get myself a date

I say - I need to be alone
I mean - I need to be alone
I don't mean - I'm not holding a grudge of anything you did. I'm not angry. I'm not upset with anything.

I say - I'll think about it
I mean - I'll think about it
I don't mean - I'm not rejecting the idea

I say - good morning to my boss
I mean - good morning
I don't mean - I'm not sticking up for the next promotion

I say - food is good
I mean - food is good
Everytime I compliment someone, the first response I get it "really?". I really have to hold myself back from saying - "No, I just got bored of sitting around so I gave u a false compliment"

I don't use the words like soon, shortly etc. Soon could mean 1 day to you but 1 week to me.

I just wish we were in a world where there was clear communication and no need to interpretation.

No comments:

Post a Comment