Monday, September 5, 2011

Teacher

Its once again that part of the year when we all feel grateful to our teachers.
5th September, as most of us know is celebrated as Teacher's Day. Its a big celebration in schools and colleges where students go out of the way to please their teachers, make their teachers feel special and show their gratitude towards their teachers.
I remember when I was in school, we used to decorate the blackboard with drawings and slogans written for our teachers. We used to decorate the class, get roses, chocolates, greeting cards, hand made cards, letters and all kinds of gifts for our teachers.
Somehow, as we grew out of our schools and colleges, this concept of celebrating Teacher's Day was lost somewhere. Is it that we have stopped having teachers in our lives? Or is it that we have stopped being students? Or is it that the existence of a teacher is only restricted to our schools and colleges?

Who is a teacher? - A teacher is someone who teaches. Right?

Definitely the one who held my hand and taught me to write ABC was my teacher.
Definitely the one who taught me the fundamentals of accountancy was my teacher.

But, isn't it true that:
the one who handheld me on my first day on job is also my teacher?
the one who taught me to face a client is also my teacher?
the one who guided me through my first sales call, first presentation is also my teacher?
the one who taught me the tricks of trade is also my teacher?
the one who taught me life is also my teacher?
you might think I'm cranky, but what about the Gym Trainer who taught me the right way to exercise and helped me shed 5 kgs?

How is it that we don't wish these teachers a Happy Teachers' Day?
Is our gratitude restricted only to Text book teachers?

Can I grow enough that I see a teacher in every person from whom I have learnt something positive and progressive and atleast today feel grateful to that person?

With Gratitude in my heart, I dedicate this post to all those teachers who have directly or indirectly contributed to my growth in life.

Happy Teachers' Day

No comments:

Post a Comment