Sunday, July 1, 2012

How much time do you have!!!

"If you write it more than twice a day... then stampify it"... this is a rubber stamp manufacturer's ad I saw in a newspaper in late 2005.
Even though my boss had said it a few hundred times before that, this was an ad which changed my entire attitude.
Till that day, I used to write the cheque numbers on each and every bank deposit slip. I used to write my name and membership number everytime I signed and about a dozen other details on various documents which I write multiple times a day, every day... so much time used to get wasted and there was no guarantee for accuracy.
On that single day, I ordered more than 20 rubber stamps. Everything from account details, membership details, beneficiary names, client names, anything which needs to be written more than twice a day was in the form of a rubber stamp.

Today I work in an organisation where I don't do much of writing but work more on the computer. At times we need to run programs 10-20 times a day. Each run may 5 minutes of setup to get a result. This means one could take upto 1 to 1.5 hours a day just doing setups.

Personally, I'm an absolutely lazy guy, so obviously I look for ways to automate such activities... at the same time, I'm not willing to compromise on the results.
As a result, my knowledge in automation has gone up significantly in the last few year and I'm able to do much more in much less time.
That apart, the accuracy goes up manifold because you have removed the human element thereby removing the greatest cause of errors...

Whether you are in business, working in an organisation, teaching, any profession... you need to ask yourself...
Are you spending too much time doing the same thing everyday?
If yes, is there a way to automate it?
If yes, why not automate it?
It could be recording collections, tracking your employee attendance, entering accounts, writing up cheques / deposit slips, sending reminder mails, client update mails, entering time sheets... it could be anything...

No comments:

Post a Comment