Sunday, November 4, 2012

For me or for us?

Right from the school days, atleast a few hundred times, I have experienced that when I do something for myself I may or may not succeed, but whenever I do something for someone else, I almost always succeed. Infact the story of my life has become, whenever I do something for others, it works, when I try to do for myself, it never clicks.

Sounds familiar???

I know what you are thinking, "Gulshan... that's the story of my life too"

What I have realised is that nothing in life happens by chance, there's no coincidence. This whole thing called life... existence... creation... whatever you call it... its a huge system. A mega enormous huge gigantic mammoth system... and it has been working for time immemorial.
And the beauty of every system is that it works the same way every time. With a given input, the output will be the same...

If we don't don't understand computers completely, everytime something goes wrong, we think that the computer has made a mistake.
But, the one who understands the computer will know that the computer will work most consistent manner everytime. He can make a much better use of the computer.

Same is true with life, everytime something goes wrong, its not that life is unfair, its just that somewhere the input has gone in wrong...

सर्वे भवन्तु सुखिनः, सर्वे सन्तु निरामया।
सर्वे भद्राणि पश्यन्तु, मा कश्चिद् दुखभाग भवेत् ।।

I had learnt this prayer when I was in school. It means - may all be happy, may all be safe, may all be free from sorrow.


ॐ नमः शिवाय, शुभम शुभम कुरु कुरु, शिवाय नमः ॐ ।।


Shiva Puran suggests has suggested this prayer as the most powerful prayer in the existence. It means - Oh lord Shiva, let good happen, let good happen.

It is infact very close to the prayer my Teacher had taught me - "May all good happen, to all people, at all times, in all places, in all the possible ways"


"Our Father in heaven, Holy be Thy name,
Give us today, Our daily bread, forgive us, our sins.... us.... us... our... our..."

Every prayer that I have heard in every path of belief has one thing in common. The prayer always asks for all inclusive and not for a single person...

When I was a child, my grandmother used to bless me every morning. Literally translated to english, it was - "May you study, learn, win, earn and give a lot of happiness to your parents."

I can confidently claim that for all of us, our prayers do not work when we ask something for us. But our prayer works everytime we ask for something for someone else.

Its a system.
This is the way the system works.
Its no point trying to figure out why... the system has been working that way for much longer than any of us were even born.

The question is, now that we understand it, why not use the system in the right way...

If I want material prosperity, I would wish for prosperity for my immediate family, for my parents. Because, I don't know one single person who gave prosperity to his parents but remained poor himself. If I have the capability to make my parents prosperous, won't I be prosperous too?

If I truly love someone and want that person in my life, I'll pray that she find a person who can love her the most, and then continue to love her with all my heart. I know that eventually we will be together.

If I have difficulty at work, I'll make sure everyone at my workplace grows. Without a choice, without any option... I'll end up growing anyways... If I have enough knowledge to help other colleagues grow, won't I grow too?
I know what you are thinking, what if the colleagues get ahead... If they are capable of getting ahead, they deserve to... atleast respect your own capabilities and don't think that way....


If I am capable of making my loved ones to be happy, won't I be happy too?

Normally I don't pray to ask... but if I ever pray to ask, I ask for us, not for me...

Who are you praying for... you or us???


1 comment: