Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Grandma!!!

Have you ever experienced holding those age worn hands, being guided by them walking down the road?
Do you remember looking into those spectacled eyes when you were just about a couple of feet tall?
That fresh smell early in the morning when you hugged her?
That snugly feeling like hugging a large soft teddy bear?
Remember when you wanted that new toy, all you had to do was point at it? not ask mom, not ask dad... just point at it...
Remember how you would come out of the school, eyes searching for her and you would find her waiting there for you... every day...
How she would rescue you when mom is torturing you with the homework...
That box beside her bed which would sometimes have cookies, sometimes dryfruits and sometimes chocolates...
That distinctive fragrance when she would open her cupboard...
How she would sit up all night when you had fever...

Yes, right now, as I write, I'm reliving all those memories which my grandmother has given me.

I grew up in a time and age when we used to stay with the grand parents. Every morning she would walk me to school. Afternoon, I would see her waiting at the school gates. Afternoons, after lunch, I would watch "Dekh Bhai Dekh" with her. Every evening, I would sit by her side when she lit the evening lamps. She initiated me into reading scriptures at a very early age.
Every evening I would sit pressing her legs with my little hands, the only problem was that I would press the legs for 1 minute and watch tv for another 5 minutes.
After I had finished my homework, we would sit and play Ludo for hours at a stretch.
My entire childhood was sprinkled with stories, morals and good things which she taught me without me even realising it.
When I was a teenager, I had my share of fights with her, still I would find her staying awake waiting for me no matter how late I got at work.

Now, my office start time matches with a few schools too. Every morning I see kids being dropped by either a driver, or by a nanny, or by a dad who is rushing to work. Where is that hug before school, hug after school, hug when you fall, hug when you are hurt, hug for pretty much everything???
I see kids spending their evenings with Ben 10 and Xbox.
Rushing from school to tuitions to dance classes.
Parents stay in metro cities for work and grand parents back in home town, just getting a quarterly glimpse of their grand children.
The kids today think their grand parents are boring.

I lost my grandma at the age of 20. That day, a part of me became orphan. Although I have absolutely unconditional love of my mom and dad, there's still a void which I know is filled only with memories now.
Those 20 years of my life were the most memorable. Each of the memories is crystal clear in my head. I'm just grateful that I was fortunate to experience all those good things.

I couldn't help but think of my grandmother today, it would have been her birthday today. I remember how she would bake a cake for me every birthday. And, it used to be a ceremony when she baked, meticulously measuring each ingredient to get it perfect.
I really wish each and every child could go through those beautiful moments with grandparents... everyday...
One needs to be blessed to have grand parents, and even more blessed and grateful if one gets to live with his grandparents.

1 comment:

  1. Dear as u rightly said blessed are those you live some part of their lives with Grand Parents.... They have lots of experience and knowledge to help and share... they just expect love and care from us.......... You are lucky ... i was not..... But my children's are lucky....

    ReplyDelete