Sunday, January 23, 2011

I Love it... So... I Destroy it...

Well... atleast thats what we all seem to be doing...

A few days back, I was sitting with a friend at KFC. I don't eat chicken, so I was eating the aloo tikki thing they have launched. My friend got a chicken bucket and dug in. As we started eating, my friend took the leg piece, said "I Love Chicken" and took a mighty big bite into it. I attacked my aloo tikki.
(For the record, I was a non-veg once and used to eat chicken too, have cleaned up 2 full grilled chicken on the best of my days, but that was ages ago.)

Another incidence happened at a picnic where I had gone with my friends. We took a lot of pictures and some of them were worth being used as wallpapers. One friend of mine likes a bunch of flowers, tries to take a pic, doesn't get a good shot, so goes ahead to pluck the flowers so that someone can hold them in the right way for a pic. I stopped that friend from plucking those flowers and we took the pictures from different angles without hurting the flowers.

People of Bangalore have a special attachment with Lalbagh Botanical Garden. Its a huge park with a wide variety of plants from different parts of the world. Bangaloreans just love this place. People come here with their families, play, have fun, eat, drink, have a merry time and then leave, leaving a large pile of plastic covers, packets, trash behind.
Now, I'm not the "Go Green" guy but I know that the trash goes in trash bin, and it really is disappointing to see people destroying the cleanliness of that place.

You love chicken... so kill it. You love the flower... pluck it. You love Lalbagh... pollute it. 
The moral what I have learnt so far is "Whatever you love, you destroy it..." simple... Right??
Actually, the answer is "No"

The thing is that people are confused about what they love.
You don't love chicken, you love eating chicken. There is a difference.
You don't love the flower, you just love the picture of the flower.
You don't love Lalbagh, you just love to go to Lalbagh.
In the process of doing or getting what you love, you are destroying something else.
That is the problem. You don't have to destroy something.
To get what you love, if you have to destroy something else, then its not worth getting it.
Either stop loving it. Or find a way to get what you love without destroying anything else.

My Teacher once said - "You Do Not Have The Right To Destroy What You Have Not Created."

I don't kill to satiate my taste buds. I enjoy the beauty of flowers without hurting them. I make the government's investment in Trash bins worth it.

Trust me, it is possible to Love without Destroying. Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment