Sunday, January 2, 2011

Petrol Engine works better with Diesel

Really... It does. I just learnt this fact a couple of days back from a friend in my office.

We were sitting for a coffee break and while chatting my friend asked about my plans on new year's eve. I didn't have anything specific. This friend of mine had some tickets for a new year eve party. For some reason, so many people around me seem to have only one agenda on weekends - to get drunk. And the same agenda applies to christmas eves, new year eves, republic day, independence day and just about any day when they don't have to get up for office.

I told my friend that I don't drink alcohol. And thats when he got into the process of explaining to me the benefits of drinking. The point he was trying to make was that drinking is actually good for health. It removes the toxins from the body, helps the mind to relax bigtime, relieves stress and so on. He actually pulled out the references from some researches and scientific studies and literally went out on a rampage to explain to me the benefits of drinking.

I really listened to his non-stop ranting for the next 5 minutes or so... then I just asked one question - "Have you ever tried to put Diesel in your Petrol car? Somebody told me that the petrol engine runs better with diesel"
This one statement of mine marked a beginning of another rampage by my friend. "Are you crazy or what? Pagal kutte ne kata hai kya? How can you put diesel in a petrol engine? The engine will cease instantly and suffer irreversible damage. Petrol is basically a much more refined fuel than diesel."... and so on. (obviously he pulled out enough research studies to support it.)

All this time, I was only thinking about how much contradiction this guy has in his life. I figured that its no use trying to communicate or explain anything to this friend. He's not ready to listen yet...

As far as the statistics are concerned... I don't know the scientific benefits. All I know is that the dirty liquid we call alcohol has never done any good to anyone... Ever.
All I know is that I have lost enough loved ones and seen enough families destroyed by this habit of drinking.
In the name of relieving stress, relaxation, social drinking, "Its not alcohol, its just a breezer" and so on... people are only destroying their own life.

The question I asked my friend was once asked by my teacher and has been a compass for me for a long time. Not just here but in so many other aspects of life.

"But Gulshan, I drink with my own money, I smoke with my own money... What is your problem?"

I have no problem, its your money, your life... do what you want with it. But on one condition. Don't get married and never have a family.
Nobody has given you the right to destroy the life of your wife and children.
They don't have the right to cry over your dead body in which the only thing left at the age of 40-45 is a decayed liver and burnt out lungs.
They don't have the right to see chunks of flesh being torn away from your face because of cancer and see your ugly face for the rest of your life.

Petrol Engine works best with Petrol only. Please... give it Petrol.

1 comment: