Sunday, March 27, 2011

Be Careful what you Wish for

Was watching this english movie called Bedazzled. In the movie, the hero is a total loser, good for nothing guy, nobody cares for him, nobody loves or respects him. He was fed up with his life and always busy complaining about everything.
One day, the devil came in the form of a beautiful girl and promised him 7 Wishes. The hero's very first wish was - "I want to be rich and powerful and married to this girl".
Poofff!!!! and he is what he wanted. But there is a small glitch... The devil had just turned him into a spanish drug mafia - he is rich, powerful, married to this girl... but also wanted by police and everyone wants to kill him.
The story goes on and everytime he makes a wish, the devil finds a way to spoil it. He uses up almost all his wishes this way.

My Granddad was a very emotional person, he had snapped a few links in his lifetime and decided never to keep in touch with some people, he went to the extent to saying "Don't come to my funeral" to a few of them and you should know, none of them were able to come for it. Some got stuck with Visa / Passport problems, some didn't get the tickets and ended up coming 2 days late when all was over.

One day when I was in 6th or so, I scored very good in Maths and my dad proudly said that day "I will make Gulshan a Chartered Accountant, there is a lot of scope for outsourced accounting. CA can never be unemployed. Even if he is out of job he can just do accounts of small businesses, charge Rs. 5000 a month, have xxx clients, he will earn 5000 * xxx per month."
In 2009, life came a full circle when I quit my first job for a change, I was already a CA, having exactly the number of clients which my Dad had said and earning exactly the amount he has said.

Even when I was in selling, I was focusing on small clients as a market strategy. Idea was that when the small clients grow big, they will stick around and I will have big clients. I always used to say this statement during my sales calls "We prefer to focus on small and medium clients as a strategy and big clients are not on our priority list". Over a period of time, I realised that all the clients on our portfolio were small clients, after some time, these clients started growing and as they grew, they started leaving us and moved on to different service providers. Reasons for these clients leaving were different, but the result was that I was always having only small and medium clients.

Those of us who have watched mythological TV soaps will recall this as a very common routine. A person does something wrong, the sage gets angry and gives a curse to that person, person apologises, sage says that the curse cannot be taken back but this is the remedy for the curse.

Looks like there is a detailed science behind the whole thing. To understand it will take more time and to share it will probably take another blog post.
The understanding I have so far is that we say what we wish, the moment we say something, the system is set into motion to make it happen. If we say good, it comes back to us; if we say bad, it still somehow comes back to us.
So... I will be careful what I wish for because for all I know, it could come true.

2 comments:

  1. W-O-W!!! Quoting you, "the belief you hold at the beginning of your journey, defines the journey"
    Just a line, but it makes sooooo much sense! Hats off! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's not my quote, it's something that came to me from my teacher and reached you through me.

    ReplyDelete