Saturday, March 19, 2011

My clients decide my clients...

Was a part of an event recently where we were the organisers. We were using some of the infrastructure and workspace for hire from a service provider. This workspace and infrastructure were on a sharing basis. That is, we were using only 30% of the vendor's resources and the remaining were hired out to other clients. The service levels, work quality, equipment etc were excellent quality and more than served our purpose.
But, if you ask me "Gulshan... will you use this service provider again?"
My answer will be "NO"
Why?
Reason - Their other clients...
While I was there, I had a chance to interact with the other clients of this service provider, and honestly, they were very very ordinary quality users. The reason they were there is because this service provider works at very low pricing and has them as his target customers. I had not seen these other clients when hiring this vendor. The quality and the standards at which we prefer to work, we don't even want to be around such people.

When I was in selling in my earlier job, a number of times, my prospective clients used to ask for the list of our existing clients. I had a very limited list of clients back then, based on that very list, I was able to get some new clients and I lost some prospective clients.

Now the whole reasoning behind it really adds up. And knowingly or unknowingly we all do it.
Just imagine that you go to Westside, Shopper's stop or any nearby apparel store. The collections are great, prices are awesome, service is top class and you like to go there. One day, while in the store, you bump into another customer who is properly, totally, absolutely drunk. He just says sorry and goes away. Would you feel like going to that store again?
That one drunk customer has now decided the store's clientele.

If you feel that you are not able to get the clients you want, maybe its because of the clients you have. Check if you want to leave some of those clients which you are currently having because they are not in tune with your long term goals.
This very fact is known to the businesses and they apply it as well. Haven't you noticed that the doorman of a 7 star hotel stops you if you are not properly dressed (wearing pyjamas and flipflops), or the discotheque which allows only couples to enter and so on...

Just as I am typing this, I realised, that this is true with our friends too... If I have a friend who is pervert, drinks or smokes, very soon I will find myself having a bunch of friends who drink and smoke. At the same time I will start losing out on my good friends.

Looks like its not just about clients, but in so many other aspects of life...
My friends decide my friends
My relationships decide my relationships

No comments:

Post a Comment