Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Security = Carelessness = Problem

Something I have heard a number of times but have started realizing only recently. I’m still realising.

Dondu  - “If your horoscope for today said that you will live a long and healthy life, will you go and stand in front of an oncoming train?”
Gullu    - “Yes”
Dondu  - “Are you crazy? How can you say Yes”
Gullu    - “No, I’m not crazy, but that’s what I will do…”
Dondu  - “Why?”
Gullu    - “Because that’s what we all do… always…”


I had asked my colleague to prepare and keep a document ready by evening. On the same day, I asked my loved one to take a bunch of printouts before I reach home in the evening.
When I was closing my day, I asked the colleague whether he had completed the document, he made me wait for 10 minutes before giving the document, when I got the document, it was full of mistakes. So I had to sit and explain the whole thing again and make sure he understood it fine. Then I said, “I need it by tomorrow morning 10:30, it will be good if you could finish it by then” (how polite... tolerant... nice... isn't it?)
Left office, reached home, asked for the printout I had told my loved one to take and keep. It so happened that due to some issue in the printer, one page was printed half and another page got missed out. My first reaction was “I told you to take just a simple printout, you can’t even do that properly. How many times have I told you to check the printouts after taking. You can’t do even a simple task without making a mistake is it? Bow wow wow… bow bow bow…. Grrrrrr…..”

Why was I tolerant with the colleague but not with a loved one??? Maybe it was the thought that if I speak rudely, the colleague will just resign and go away, so I have to watch my language. Just because my loved one cannot or will not leave me and go, I take things for granted and speak the way I want to…
Just because there is a security in a relationship doesn’t mean I can become careless and take the relationship for granted.

This is true with so many aspects of life.

When a friend of mine bought a brand new laptop, he was not going to any internet site which shows advertisements, he was afraid of a virus attack. Now that he has the antivirus installed, he purposely goes to all kinds of sites possible to see if the antivirus protection is strong enough or not. Just because you have an antivirus doesn’t mean you have a license to take risks with your computer…

Remember when all of us joined our first jobs… the first 6 months were probation and we did our best, learnt the most, grew the fastest in those 6 months. Then we got the confirmation of job. Now that there is security of job, slowly the speed was lost, you started losing interest, started complaining about things, started cursing your boss... if you are still in the same job, chances are that you just go to office in the morning and come back in the evening.
Just because you have a job security doesn’t mean you can take your work casually…
Just because I am wearing a seatbelt or helmet I don’t get the right to drive recklessly…
Just because my girl friend is now my wife, it doesn’t mean I should stop saying “Love you so much” 25 times a day…
Just because I have a healthy relationship I don’t have the right to take things and people for granted…
Just because my horoscope said that I will live a long and healthy life, I don’t get a right to go and stand in front of an oncoming train?

Think about it…

No comments:

Post a Comment