Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Traffic Rules - Part 1

Everytime I share an experience, I know that a few more lives will possibly change after reading it… I hope I have succeeded so far…

This is the first time I’m sharing a post without any hope… without any expectations…

I know that you will not like what is going to follow… I don’t expect you to…

Everyline you read, you will have a question… “Gulshan… preaching is easy, are you following it yourself?”

I have been taught that I have the authority to speak only if I have practiced myself… So here we go…
I own a Bajaj Pulsar Dtsi 150 cc bike which is considered as a pretty powerful bike in India.
You will never see me jumping a red light.
You will not see me driving without a helmet, even if I have to go just a 100 metres.
You will never see me using my vehicle beyond its rated capacity (simple English --- No triples on bike)
You will never see me crossing the speed limit (50 kmph in my city).
Even at midnight, if I’m on a traffic signal, I will stop at Red.
You will not see me weaving in and out of lanes without signaling.
You will not see me entering a one way street from the wrong end.
Not even pushing the turned off bike down a one way street (which is quite common in India)
You will not see me speaking on a phone while driving.
Till a few weeks back, I used to listen to music in one ear while driving. I have already stopped it and you will not find me listening to music and driving.
All the critical components in my bike – brakes, tail lights, brake lights, headlights etc are perfectly working.
I have a complete set of documents including Insurance and Pollution check documents.

Hoping that I now look like a decent commuter... lets move on with the sharing...

My house is about 7 kilometres from my office. Yesterday alone, while going home I saw about 15 motorcycle riders riding without helmets. Most of them had their helmets hanging on the bike or on their elbows. (Yes, I actually counted because I was upset with something. Very very upset. I will share that when the time is right)

Another 15-20 motorcycles / scooters where the rider was wearing a helmet but had not strapped it on.

A whole lot of people driving Triples.

One Idiot was driving with his spouse and 2 children on a 100cc bike… without a helmet.

You make a wrong turning while driving at 40 kmph… and after getting trashed up… you have the nerve to say that I was turning at 40 ONLY???

There is a clear “NO ENTRY” board on the road and you still enter because everybody else is entering??? And then you have the nerve to tell that “There is a NO ENTRY board but actually its not so because everybody goes”… who told you that???

Lets come back to helmets…

I’m not a scientist but I know a few things for sure…

A helmet is something worn on the head to “PROTECT” the head in case of an accident. If you think Helmet is worn to follow the law, you are dead wrong. Law or no law should not be a reason for wearing helmet.

A completely closed helmet with a mono-shell design provides the best protection to the head and face.

Front open helmets, removable front helmets, helmets with only a visor are only designs. In an accident, they may protect the head, but the rider still has a risk of serious facial injuries.

Bowl shaped, Cap shaped helmets are not helmets. They do not protect the rider’s temples, lower back of the skull, ears and surrounding areas. These are sensitive areas in an accident and any injury here can be fatal.

Hard Hats (the yellow coloured ones which are worn in factories) are definitely not helmets. They are made for a different purpose.

Cheap helmets purchased from roadside are not good enough.

And after so much of rambling, I know that some of you will still not wear one because it is not mandatory in your city.
Or perhaps you think you are too good a rider to ever need a helmet.
Or maybe the creator has created you with a head made of solid rock...


(To be continued…)

No comments:

Post a Comment