Monday, November 14, 2011

My Anchor...

An Anchor is probably the most important tool after a compass.
An Anchor is something which holds the ship in place.
Every seagoing ship is fitted with an Anchor. Everytime the ship drops anchors, the anchor goes and gets stuck at the ocean floor and holds the ship in place. This way, it ensures that the ship stays in one place and does not drift away in the currents.
Just for an example, imagine that two ships were parked in a place at night, one of them used an anchor and another one didn't, through the night, the tides came and went, lot of currents came. Do you think both the ships will still be there in the morning?
No...
The one without the anchor would have drifted away somewhere... lost / directionless / probably run aground.

There is a sanskrit word "Bhav" (भव) which means "existential" (or "to exist").
Another sanskrit word "Sagar" (सागर) means "ocean".
Time and again we have heard this word BhavSagar (भवसागर), which literally translated means the existential ocean.
Now, if we see our surroundings as a Bhavsagar then we have to be the ship in the this sea.
As we saw earlier, every ship has to have an Anchor. In the same way, even we (or atleast most of us) have our Anchors.
My Anchor could be my Mother, my God, that Pilgrimage where I go every year, my Belief system, my Family, my Teacher or anybody to whom I hold myself accountable. Even the reflection in the mirror can be my anchor if I have enough courage to look into its eyes.
My Anchor is that force in whose presence, I can be myself, in whose presence I cannot lie, which is with me even when it is not with me. Time to time, I need to go back to my Anchor and give my account.
There is too much of currents around us, emotional, societal, professional, academic... too many of them...
We have to find an Anchor to find our stability. It could be anything depending on the maturity of a person.
If you have found an Anchor already, consider yourself blessed and never ever let go of it...
Paradoxical but so True... We need an Anchor to get across the Bhavsagar...

No comments:

Post a Comment