Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thank you Same to you...

My grandpa was an amazing person... Probably the best grandpa in the world...
If there is a toy I need, I just need to point at it, don't even have to ask...
If my mom is torturing me too much with the homework... I just need to send out a signal to him, he would swoop in and rescue me...
I learnt a lot of good things from him, including my first ever morning exercises...
There was this one habit of my grandpa which was a bit strange, infact we used to tease him for that habit...
Whenever someone would wish him "Happy Birthday", he would reply with a "Thank you, Same to you". Year after year, he would repeat this same response. He had a very good command over english and this was not normal, so many times we explained that you should stop at "Thank You", "Same to you" is not required, but somehow he was not able to give up that wording and continued to say "Thank you Same to you" till his last birthday...

He's not around anymore, but somehow his style makes sense... Knowingly or unknowingly he had left a very powerful 5 worded message - "Thank you, Same to you..."

Somehow I have come to understand it as this: "Thank you" for the wishes, "Same to you" because the day of my birthday should be a Happy Day for you too...

Initially it was a part of missing him but over a period of time somehow my programming has become such that for the last 7-8 years, whenever someone has wished me Happy Birthday, I always say "Thank You" and somewhere a voice inside says "Same to you"

Only those very close to me get to hear me say it out aloud... all others don't get to because they would think I'm a weirdo and are not ready for it yet...

But the power of the message is quite simple... When you wish me a Happy Birthday, I say thank you, but when I say "Same to you" I'm also wishing to you that let my birthday be a happy day for you...

So all those who wished me a Happy Birthday today... A Biggggggggggg Thank You and Same to You...

No comments:

Post a Comment