Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Plus one for Honesty

There was this classroom full of ultra competitive students. All fighting for quarter and half marks on each subject because every half mark mattered in deciding their ranks.
Today the Sanskrit teacher was distributing the results of Sanskrit Test held last week.
Dondu was one of the students there and like everytime he had aced it this time also. One question of the test involved the use of word Ball. Correct usage of the word was "Kanduken", but Dondu had wrongly written it as "Genden" which is obviously wrong.
Somehow, the teacher had not noticed the mistake and had given 1 mark for the answer. There was a crowd of about 7-8 students huddled around the teacher's table bargaining for any marks they could squeeze by proving they were right.
Anybody who has been to school can imagine that scene.
Dondu walked to the teacher's table, through the crowd and then this is how the conversation happened...
Dondu - Ma'am, this answer is wrong
Ma'am (while talking to 3 other students simultaneously) - Yeah... It must be wrong...
Dondu - But, you have marked it right.
Ma'am - So?
Dondu - Ma'am... I've given a wrong answer and you have given me a mark for it. I need you to change it.
The 3 others went silent, the teacher looked at Dondu from Top to bottom... confused...
Ma'am - Whats the problem? You are getting an extra mark only...
Dondu - But I don't want that mark...

Teacher was fed up by now. She took the paper and did a "-1" from the total marks.

And then, the most beautiful thing happened... The Teacher gave a proud smile and gave a "+1"...
She said - "This is for your honesty, now go back to your seat"

That day, Dondu learnt the value of his Honesty.

15 Years later...

A couple of months ago, Dondu jumped a Red light (purely by mistake, the traffic light was obscured by a standing bus)
And there round the corner a Traffic Cop was standing. This is how the conversation went:
Cop - You jumped a Red light
Dondu - Sorry, I didn't realise it was red
Cop - All you youngsters drive recklessly and then make excuses @#@@#$@%... (censored)
Dondu - I really did not realise it was Red. If I have made a mistake, I am willing to pay whatever the fine.
Cop - That will be Rs. 100
Dondu paid Rs. 100
Cop turned to walk away.
Dondu - Sir... Can I have the challan for it
Cop - Are you new to the city? This 100 was for leaving you with the warning. If you want a challan, you will have to pay the full fine amount of Rs. 300
Dondu - Fine, I'll pay 300, but I need a challan. If I've to pay, I'll as well pay the proper fine and walk away proudly.
Cop Looked at Dondu from top to bottom, went to his bike, picked up a challan book and wrote a challan for Rs. 100
Dondu - This challan is only for Rs. 100, you said it was Rs. 300 with Challan.
Cop - I'll take only Rs. 100, the Rs. 200 pardon is for your honesty.

Again... after 15 years... Dondu was reminded of the value of his Honesty.

Who is Dondu does not matter... The purpose of this sharing is not to teach you the value of Honesty, it is to share the value of Your Honesty.

I don't say Honesty is the best policy... I strongly believe that My Honesty is My best policy.

But, I also understand that I will be honest only with the person who will not hold my honesty against me.

No comments:

Post a Comment