Saturday, October 23, 2010

That feeling of "Sometimes I just hate my job" - Part I

I was travelling from Bangalore to Chennai with a friend of mine (Lets call her "Rammy"). In the process of being smart she booked a wrong ticket and here we were at 12 midnight in a train without a ticket.
We tried to talk to the TTE (Travelling Ticket Examiner), negotiate and get atleast one seat.
While we were waiting for him to arrange for a seat, we had to stand at the door of the coach where a lot of people kept coming and going. There were a lot of other people trying to get a seat for themselves just like us and they were following the TTE everywhere through the coaches.
I being fond of talking was chatting away my time with Rammy standing near the coach door.
While we were standing there, we noticed that one small boy of age about 6-8 years was with this TTE. At every station, the TTE would get down with the boy, see all over the place and board the coach again with that boy. He was trying to talk to the boy but the boy was too nervous and didn't seem to understand any of the local languages.
By now we had figured out that the little boy was probably separated from his parents at an earlier station and the TTE was trying to help him but could not do much.
As every station went by, the child was getting farther away from his parents. The TTE was trying to find a station incharge at every station so he could handover the boy but at 1.45 in the midnight the stations were as deserted as a graveyard.
All this while we are standing at the door and watching.
Finally, he took the tough decision. At one station, he made the child sit at a bench and said something to him, probably asked him to stay there. He then boarded the coach where we were standing, saw me looking at what happened and said "Sometimes I just Hate this job"
Even today I can't forget his expression. There was pain, regret, shame, sadness, helplesness all at the same time and nothing I could have done at that time.
He arranged two seats for us at around 2 in the night. Yes... He had done his job of a TTE and provided a seat to the passengers.
Was that his job???

I don't know what happened to that child, but I just prayed that night that a good person finds that kid and takes him to his parents.

Are you stuck in that trap where you keep getting this feeling of "Sometimes I Hate This Job"

2 comments:

  1. sometimes you cant help but just feel helpless...
    i too think about the kid..
    we both just felt helpless standing there. i wish i had given him my jerkin.. it was a cold night..

    ReplyDelete
  2. during all those times i wish to grow so much in life that i dont have to think twice to lend that helping hand to someone who is helpless..

    ReplyDelete