Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Ok... I'll be tolerant... but...

Have been thinking this since I wrote the last post.
In the last post, I ended by saying that I will give a benefit of doubt to someone who does something wrong to me.
I know that the next thing you will ask me is "Gulshan... This person has done wrong to me again and again... people have hurt me, cheated me over and over again so many times... how can you ask me to give him/her a benefit of doubt?"
I'll tell you the story of 2 amazing characters I know. We'll call them Chunnu and Munnu (names changed for obvious reasons).
Both Chunnu and Munnu were born as innocent as angels. At the right time, they were introduced to this world and the different types of people who live in it. Both of them faced deception, hurt from their loved ones, but the way they dealt with it was quite different.
Every time Chunnu was hurt or cheated, he became smarter while dealing with the same person next time. He continued to relate with that person, but with Caution. Over a period of time, Chunnu developed a sense of identifying when someone had wrong intentions. In all these years I know Chunnu, he has never been cheated twice by anybody. Infact, in the last few years, nobody has managed to come close to causing any harm to Chunnu.
Lets look at Munnu now, Every time someone hurt him, he went into sad and grumpy mode. Then, the person would come and say "Sorry", speak a few sweet things and they are friends again. Sometime later, the same person would do wrong to Munnu again and the cycle of life goes on for Munnu.
There's no use trying to guess who Chunnu and Munnu are, what's important is that this could be your story and mine.
I really admire Chunnu for his qualities - He's good. He's good to even those who are bad to him. He gives a benefit of doubt to people when they make mistakes. But more importantly, also relates cautiously once people have made a mistake.
Chunnu's policy is simple --- I Will be Good, But I will not allow others to use me as a Doormat. Just because someone is bad, I will not stop being Good.

Coming back to the question "What do I do with the people who have hurt me repeatedly and intentionally?"
Well, If someone can hurt me once, it is his/her skill, but if he/she can hurt me again, its my foolishness...

No comments:

Post a Comment