Friday, December 2, 2011

Did I Say that?

Recently I met an old friend. He was my senior during apprenticeship days but we got to work together only for about 10-15 days or so.
We were meeting after 9 years, still we recognized each other in one look. It was great catching up.
During the chit chat, I shared a learning I took from him all those years ago, here it goes:
I went on my first audit with him and on the very first day, he said “The best way to do an audit is to wear 2 hats at the same time. Everytime you are checking an invoice or a voucher, first ask yourself whether you will accept it if you were the “Boss” of that company. Second, ask yourself whether you will accept it if you were the “Tax Officer”. If answer to both is ok, then the document is fine, otherwise make an audit note.”
This philosophy has driven my audits and my professional work for almost a decade. He could have easily told me “Tick date, Tick Amount, Tick Account Head, Tick Authorised Signature and move on to the next voucher”, but he didn’t do that.
The best part is that he doesn’t even remember that he said this to me and he asked me "Did I say that?"
Most of us today are in influential positions. We don’t have to be high profile bosses or public figures… As a manager, I’m influential in my office. As a team leader, I’m influential to my team. As an elder brother, I’m influential to my siblings. As a spouse, I’m influential to my partner for life. On the road, when someone asks me for directions, at that moment, in that minute, I’m influential to that person in that aspect.
Whatever I say from a position of influence can have a permanent mark on the other person. It could be a casual comment, a piece of advice, a clarification, an instruction… anything…

Now, lets just take a minute and check what language we are using…
On an average, every sentence of ours starts with F***, every response with Sh** and every sentence ends with A**. What words and memories of ours are we leaving with others?

In this lifetime, I don’t know how many people I have spoken to, and I definitely don’t remember what I have spoken to them… I might have been useful to some, I might have been nice to some and I might have been rude to some.
I will never come to know how it changed my relationship with them.
It’s like having walked down a one way road, throwing seeds on both sides of the road, I don’t know how many of them have become trees today…
Past is Past, I have no control over it, but what I can control is that a negative word will not come through me from now on…
I have dropped bad words from my grammar…
I made this decision about 3 years back when my Teacher said something in a class.
Today after having followed it for 3 years, I can confidently say that nobody can catch me speaking bad words.
Something spoken by me will only do a good to somebody; otherwise it’s not worth speaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment