Sunday, September 9, 2012

I wish I could show you...

It was my first major audit assignment. The client was in a pretty messy situation. The first day, my mentor came with me and helped me kick start the entire audit project. Once we had everything going, he left me on my own and kept mentoring me remotely.
Over the course of next one month, we worked very closely and the end result was that we had a very comprehensive audit checklist and an equally great audit reporting format. This audit report was better than the other reports done earlier and the last I know, it was still used till a few months ago, that's almost 9 years later. Of course, it has evolved a lot ever since.
But, that thrill of creating something new which will carry my mark for ever was amazing.
The feeling that something great was created through me gave me such a kick that I have got addicted to creating.
That one experience got me into a "Systems thinking". Infact, if I don't create something new every once in a while, I don't feel comfortable. Ever since that audit, wherever I have worked, my entire focus has been to work towards a "Person Proof System".
Any activity in which I'm involved, I first understand, do it once for myself, get the required results, and then try to get it into a systematic documented process so that tomorrow, anyone else should be able to execute the same thing without depending on me or asking my help.
"Person Proof System" means a process, system, work style which is independent of the person working in it. Even if a person is removed, the next person should be able to become a part of the system and execute what is needed.
Now... no matter how much I try to explain this experience, you won't understand what I'm talking about unless you have experienced it yourself.
No matter how much I try, I cannot show you what I have seen, unless you have seen it for yourself.

When you tell me "Gulshan, if you don't eat chicken, you don't know what you are missing." I tell inside my heart... "My dear, you don't know what you are missing. You don't have any idea what if feels when you look at the chicken and turn away. You don't know what it feels like to be a vegetarian. You don't know what it feels like to know that your taste buds didn't cost a life"

When you tell me "Gulshan, if you don't smoke / drink, you don't know what you are missing." I feel in the depths of my heart "Darling, you don't know what you are missing. I wish I could show you how it feels to have clear lungs while jogging. To have a clear head on a saturday morning."

We went to a temple, and the kind of silence I experienced there was so amazing, it was so silent that I felt like some sound will burst out of my ears. It was a peace I had never experienced. Sad part is that you won't know it no matter how much I explain. It is something that has to be experienced.

That joy of creation, the closeness to Him, that head in the lap, those eyes, that toothless smile, those delicate finders, that experience of success, that silence, that peace... I can't help but remember the quote of my teacher - "Infinite beauty cannot be expressed in finite words...The most beautiful is to be experienced..."

No comments:

Post a Comment