Saturday, September 8, 2012

Same steps... different results...

I was watching a movie last week... In this movie, a totally average girl suddenly comes to know that she's a princess of a country. For the first time in her life, she sat in a limousine. While sitting in the car, she was playing with the power window. For almost 5 minutes, she was pressing the up and down buttons and the window kept going up and down. Finally the driver said - "Miss, no matter how many times you press that button it will still go up and down the same way."
That statement hit me so hard that for the next 10 minutes, I was watching the movie but still not watching it.

I work in a software company and anybody who has worked with softwares will agree that there are times when the software will just not behave properly.
You try steps 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 and you don't get the results.
You try again steps 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 and you don't get the results.
Once again, you try steps 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 and you still don't get the results.
You get frustated and go for the coffee...
After a 45 minute long coffee break, you come back and once again try - steps - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5. Do you think you will get the results?
By following the same steps, even if you try another 300 times, you still won't get the results...
Chances are that you are either missing a step,
or you have added an extra step
or you have got the order mixed up...
or maybe the software has got a bug...
In any case, following the same steps over and over will not take you anywhere...

I tell her - Lets go out on a date.
She says - Not today. I'm not in the mood.
I say again - Lets go out on a date.
She says - Not today. I'm not in the mood.
I say once again - Lets go out on a date
She says - Not today. I'm not in the mood.

Isn't it Boring??? Do you think I'll get my date?

Won't it be much more interesting if I were to try a different dialogue everytime and she would give a different answer everytime. And maybe, eventually I will get my date...


At home, the kid doesn't listen to you, do you keep repeating the same thing in the same way?? Obviously not... you try convincing in a different way... don't you?

Why not implement it in every aspect of life???

Problem happens when we keep applying the same steps and still expect a different outcome... and then actually become miserable if we don't get the results...

Problem happens when we keep using the same recipe and keep expecting a new dish everytime... Will that ever happen?

Problem happens when we keep travelling the same road and still keep expecting to reach a new destination... Will that ever happen?

If you still haven't got the point, maybe I'll try it differently in a different post some day...

1 comment:

  1. //After a 45 minute long coffee break// i like this part.. i did have 2 x 45 minutes break when I was put in "bench"

    ReplyDelete