Saturday, September 1, 2012

That food on your plate...

Sometime back, we went to an expensive restaurant. For a change, the portions served were larger than we expected and after we had eaten our fills, there was still food ordered but not served. It was enough for one person.

We thought why to waste the food, so we packed it as a take away, maybe we would have eaten it at night.

As we walked out of the restaurant, at a short distance, there was a poor lady with a new born baby in her hands and asking for money. Without missing a beat, my friend walked over and gave the packed food to the lady.

This was the same food which we could have easily left at the restaurant and would have gone in the trash. But, somehow a poor lady was destined to have it, so we packed it and somehow my friend got that thought to give it to her.

That day, I realised, that for every single morsel of food that I take up on my plate and don't eat, there is someone who has not eaten it. For every morsel of food I throw, I have taken away someone else's share of food. And I don't have any right to take away another's food.

When I was a kid, we used to have a game. Whoever finishes all the food in the plate gets 10 rupees reward. The condition was that the plates have to be cleaned up. Even if you had even a single grain of rice in your plate, you would be disqualified. I have collected my 10 rupees every single time.

The other day, I went to meet my friend at his office and I reached his office quite early and the cleaning was still going on. I saw atleast 3 XXL sized garbage bags being carried out by the cleaners and all were filled with the food which was thrown away the previous day. If you assume each garbage bag weighs just 10 kgs and one normal person eats one kg of food; Just imagine how many empty stomachs stayed empty because someone decided to pile up his plate, eat just a quarter of it and throw away the rest. You know why? because the food was pathetic.
Idiots... Fools... Stupid people... if the food is pathetic, why do you have to pile it up on your plate and then throw it? Why can't you take a small portion first, taste it and then take it more??? Or is your bottom so heavy that you can't lift it off the chair?

I'm not talking about your office or my office only, I'm talking about your office, about your friend's office, your dad's office, your neighbour's office and your wife's office and every single office in your neighbourhood... Try going to any of these buildings early in the morning if there are 200 people in your office, there is wasted food enough atleast 30 people. If there are 300 people, there is average throwing away of food for atleast 45 people and so on.

I'm not asking you to go on a social service drive and spread awareness to the whole world.
I'm only humbly... requesting you... begging you to please please please take only what you will eat on your plate...
If you are offered something to eat, take only what you will eat or just refuse to take it. What sense does it make to take the food on plate and instantly throw it away... without even tasting it once.

I have experienced hunger... I have experienced what it is to go without eating for a full day... I really hope you never go through it, but atleast you could help others to come out of it...
My blood literally boils when I see people throw away what someone else could have eaten...

Gulshan... its easy to say... but lets be practical.

My dear, I'm the most practical guy you could ever find. I have never shared a single thing which I'm not implementing myself. You can never find a single grain of rice on my plate when I finish eating. Infact, all my friends know that I'm the finisher... whenever there's food left, I'll finish it off to make sure it doesn't go wasted.
If it ever happens that I have to throw away food for whatever reason, I would go out, buy a meal and give it to another needy. I will never be responsible for stealing another person's share of food.

I never use negative language in my sharings, if I have used it today, it only shows how much and how strongly I feel about it...
Think about it... please!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment