Monday, September 24, 2012

The Test is coming!!!

I have always been very particular about punctuality, at times my passion for punctuality even borders fanaticism. Anybody who knows me well knows that if I agree to a time, I'll do everything under the sun to make it. But many people don't know one thing which is the amount of testing I face everytime I discuss this topic.
A couple of years ago, I was sharing my passion for punctuality with my students and I made it a very strong point. Guess what... the very next class started 7 minutes late. That's absolutely criminal going by my record. Of course, I promised that it would never happen again and that promise was kept.

A few months later, I was involved in another activity. I was working with a friend and we used to meet at odd hours to work together. At one instance my friend said - "Gulshan, you don't have to be so punctual, you make us feel guilty". Wanna guess?? - Next session, I reached late by a few minutes and was out of the activity.  This year, I'm again a part of that activity and have made it so far.

Infact, I was probably the most unpleasant groom in the history of mankind because in my own marriage, I went around chasing everyone to get ready on time and I was not very pleasant in doing so.

Everytime I speak of my strength, I speak of my conviction... Life decides to throw in a test for me. If I make it through, it means my conviction is true. If I don't, it just means that I need to work more on it.

Recently, I had shared about alcohol and how much I'm against it. Within a few months, I find myself sitting in the company of grown ups in a social gathering with all of them having a glass in their hands... All these are people I highly respect.
What do I do? What can I do?
Do I go ahead an lecture them on the disadvantages of Alcohol? --- Obviously not... I'll be way beyond my line there.
Do I stand there and watch them destroy their bodies one sip at a time? --- Definitely not... that's a huge damage to my subconscious.
What do I do?
I just walk out of the room with faith in my heart that maybe one day Life will find a way to show them the light.
That's what I did.
Maybe you'll think I took the easy way out. Maybe you would have done something different... But that's what seemed right to me.

Right now, I'm throwing in another challenge to Life...
Till now, I had a conviction that I will not consume or pay for anyone else who consumes alcohol... Let's take this one step further...
"Right now, From now on... I have a conviction that I will not sit on the same table and in the same room where my friends, colleagues, or anyone whom I know and care for is using alcohol."
"You will not find me in the company of alcohol"
"So much as the smell of alcohol will not enter my system"

I know that the moment I wrote this, Life has already started conspiring a test for me and I'm ready for it.
Because my faith in my conviction is stronger than my faith in my God.
Whether it is punctuality... whether it is anti-alcoholism... whether it is my belief in word...
I have chosen my convictions and I'm ready for life to test me.

Everytime one has a Conviction... It will be tested... over and over...
Check your own history... everytime you believed in something, you were tested by life. And your success or failure in that test has defined your growth ever since...
If a conviction is not tested... it is not a conviction.

Are you strong enough to find yourself a conviction and stand by it no matter what happens???

No comments:

Post a Comment